Vacancy Number: A/072/13
Program/Project: ASSP/Livestock and Irrigation Value-Chains for Ethiopian Smallholders (LIVES) project
Duration: Two years contract
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, Vietnam) and East Asia (China). For more information, please visit www.ilri.org
The Livestock and Irrigation Value-Chains for Ethiopian Smallholders (LIVES) project is an initiative designed by ILRI, IWMI (the International Water Management Institute) and their Ethiopian partners to enhance income and gender equitable wealth creation for smallholders and other value chain actors through increased and sustained market off-take of high-value livestock and irrigated crop commodities. It will design and implement interventions to improve market orientation of semi-commercial farmers for enhanced competitiveness, sustainability and equity in value chains in four regions of Ethiopia.
The positions: ILRI is recruiting Regional Expert-Irrigated Agriculture Expert position who will be based in Addis Ababa and who will be a member of the LIVES Project in ILRI-Ethiopia.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager:
- In consultation with national, regional and LIVES partners, plan regional irrigated agricultural value chain interventions
- Makes arrangements with regional development partners (Bureau of Agriculture, NGO) for (joint) implementation of irrigated agriculture chain development interventions in selected Zones
- Provides technical assistance for implementation of irrigated agriculture development interventions at Regional, Zonal and District level
- Organizes value chain actors and service provider linkages in support of selected irrigated agriculture value chain development
- Builds capacity of irrigated agriculture value chain actors and service providers in approaches and irrigated agriculture value chain interventions through in-service and on the job training
- In consultation with LIVES research coordinator and regional research partners, conducts research in irrigated agriculture value chain development
- Minimum of MSc degree in Agronomy/Irrigation agronomy/or Horticulture
- At least 10 years’ experience in Agronomy or Irrigation Agronomy or Horticulture research and/or development
- Experience in capacity building
- Broad knowledge of agriculture
- Understanding of value chain concepts
- Good analytical and English writing skills
- Good communication and partnership skills
- Good interpersonal skills
Duty Station: Oromia
Grade: 3B Level 3
Monthly Base Salary: Base salary of Birr 27,302 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at Addis Ababa. Initial appointment is fixed term for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV (3 pages maximum) explaining their interest in the position, including relevant documents and testimonials and the names and addresses (telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be sent to the Human Resources Office, ILRI, P.O. Box 5689, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Telephone: (251-11)-617-20-00; Fax (251-11) 646 46-45. The name and reference number of the position for which the application is made (A/072/2013), should be clearly marked on the envelopes if mailed or fax applications. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: January 3, 2014.
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/