The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Head, Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) to manage and lead ILRI’s communications and knowledge management work to deliver on ILRI’s mission.
The Communications and Knowledge Management team at ILRI provides central leadership in knowledge sharing, communication and information facilities and expertise to ILRI researchers, the organization and its partners. Activities are intended to enhance ILRI’s effectiveness and outcomes through four main activities:
- Communicate evidence for wider influence – by engaging with and influencing decision-makers and other audiences;
- Translate science-based practices into impact – by communicating research outputs into potential development outcomes, get knowledge into use;
- Link and connect people and knowledge to enrich collaboration, learning, interaction and exchange;
- Access, organize and manage, document, publish, communicate and disseminate research knowledge, information and data, products and outputs for wide accessibility and use.
This is an important institutional role leading diverse efforts to help achieve ILRI’s strategic influencing, capacity development and science uptake objectives. The CKM team works across ILRI, contributing to institutional and project activities, spanning public awareness, advocacy, publishing, knowledge sharing, engagement and facilitation. The team presently comprises 20 individuals based in Addis Ababa and Nairobi, with associated project communications specialists embedded into different research programs and projects.
The ideal candidate brings a wide expertise and ability to guide a multi-faceted team as well as depth in any of the substantive areas falling within the terms of reference.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The Head of Communications and Knowledge Management is expected to provide strategic and operational leadership in all the team’s delivery areas listed below. Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, he or she would provide specialised inputs at institutional and project levels.
- Leading, planning and managing CKM functions and teams
- Managing relations with media; organizing campaigns and public influencing activities
- Publishing, communicating and disseminating ILRI’s multimedia research outputs
- Generating and communicating corporate news and products
- Building and supporting advocacy coalitions on the roles of livestock in sustainable development
- Supporting collaboration platforms and support for ILRI and partner teams and projects
- Designing, facilitating and supporting events, workshops and conferences
- Providing support to internal communications
- Delivering open access platforms and publishing
- Engaging through social media
- Managing ILRI’s web and digital platforms and tools
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject area.
- At least 10 years’ experience in research or science communication, information/knowledge management, public awareness or publishing, ideally in an international development context.
- Experienced manager with strong skills in budgeting and financial management, engaging with communications ‘clients’ and partners, and delivering products and services in busy and time-pressed environments.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of communications and knowledge management strategies.
- Experience in leading communications and knowledge management initiatives at an organisational level and engaging with multidisciplinary teams to understand their specific needs.
- Experience in guiding, managing and developing teams in diverse locations and in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent interpersonal as well as written and oral communication skills with the ability to develop and manage relations effectively with both internal and external stakeholders.
Post location: The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Position level: The position level is 5B.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 25 February 2017. The position title and reference number IP/HCKM/01/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.