The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Executive Chef who will be a member of Housing, Catering and Conference Services team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
The executive chef will be responsible to coordinate and supervise food production process for the main cafeteria, zebu club and banquet functions by maintaining highest food quality and sanitation standards.
- Ensures high standards of food quality, sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times;
Develops innovative, high quality menus, recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation to ensure consistent quality;
- Establishes controlling mechanism to minimize food and supply waste;
- Supervises kitchen staff to ensure that they comply with the institute health and kitchen sanitation standards;
- Collaborates with reservations/bookings, service coordinator, and quality assurance officer;
- Ensures the right taste, quality and the quantity of food and beverage in all outlets;
- Plans the menu for each outlet including cafeteria (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and banquet functions; giving consideration to variety, taste, cost, and introducing new items to the menus;
- Creates chef’s specials or signature dishes;
- Provides option packages for banquets and conference breaks;
- Announces the cafeteria menu in advance;
- Ensures the minimum quantity of stock are kept at all times. Estimates food requirements and food/labor costs, and develops purchase specifications;
- Ensures each food and beverage outlet (Cafeteria, Zebu and Banquet) are managed with full cost recovery;
- Monitors all costs and recommend measures to ensure that services are efficient through an integrated plan;
- Ensures the catering operational budget is strictly adhered to by reviewing the monthly forecasts;
- Follow up monthly reports of sales;
- Ensures that all the outlets and banquet is managed efficiently according to the standard operating procedures;
- Reviews staff performance regularly and ensures productivity is maintained in the kitchen;
- Regularly monitors services and food and beverage standards in all outlets and banquets by closely working with the team, and taking corrective action where necessary;
- Establishes, implements and controls performance standards for the stewarding operation in both kitchens, restaurants and bars so as to achieve the highest possible hygiene standards;
- Ensures thorough hygiene practices. Implements recommendations from health and safety inspections;
- Handles guest and employee inquiries in a professional manner and reports guest complaints or problems to supervisors;
- Solicits feedback from customers and improves services accordingly;
- Supervises the outlets (during peak periods) to ensure that the outlet is managed well by the respective outlet team and functions to the fullest expectations; Interact with customers and collect their feedback;
- Ensures that standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all food preparation section operation manuals are updated regularly in consultation with the Housing, Catering and Conference Service Manager;
- Ensures an accurate record of recipes and product specifications are well maintained;
- Conducts daily operations briefing with food and beverage team and ensures that all meetings are well planned and result oriented;
- Ensures that all kitchen staff have a good understanding of and adhere to relevant institute wide policies and procedures including Health and Safety requirements;
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BA degree in food production or related disciplines from a recognized university
- City government of Addis Ababa Occupational competency Assessment and Certification Center (OCACC) with a minimum of level 3
- At least 5 years’ experience in food preparation as Chef in large Hotel or Institution.
- At least three years supervisory experience
- International hotel experience is advantageous.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required
- Expert knowledge of food preparation
- Menu preparation skill
- Knowledge of food storage principle
- Proven ability to supervise a kitchen bridge
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 21,367 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: EC/05/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 17 February 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.