5 April 2017
The Position: The Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant who will be based in Addis Ababa located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus and be a member of the Strengthening Impact Assessment in the CGIAR system (SIAC) project in ILRI Ethiopia.
General: The Standing Panel on Impact Assessment is a sub-group of the CGIAR Independent Science and Partnership Council (ISPC) which has a mandate for assessing the adoption and impact of agricultural technologies developed by the CGIAR Consortium of centers and research programs.
In response to growing donor interest in impact assessment of CGIAR research outputs, the CGIAR SPIA has developed a set of activities for the SIAC project. The project is engaged in testing out innovative ways of assessing adoption of CGIAR agricultural technologies using methods such as DNA fingerprinting, remote sensing, drones or near-infrared spectroscopy. To this purpose, CGIAR SPIA is collaborating with the Central Statistical Agency of Ethiopia (CSA) and LSMS-ISA – a World Bank project that collects nationally-representative panel datasets in Ethiopia.
The objective of this Research Assistant position is to participate on the conception and supervision of households-based surveys involving Near-Infrared Spectroscopy measurements in rural areas.
- Provides support for the conception of household survey questionnaires and protocols
- Maintenance and manipulation of survey instruments (Tablets equipped with Open Data Kit)
- Training and supervision of enumerators on the field
- Scanning of collected samples using provided materials
- Monitoring of collected samples and deliverance to the laboratory
- Follow-up on the advancement of laboratory analysis
- Performs quality control on the results obtained from the scanned samples and household-survey information
- Possibility to participate in analysis and publication of results
- Must be able to travel within Ethiopia
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BSc degree in social sciences (sociology, economics, geography) or related.
- At least 3 years’ of relevant experience in data collection supervision on research projects
- Basic training and certification and proficiency in appropriate PC use
- Good writing skills
- Ability to communicate in Afaan-Oromoo
- Interest in new technologies
- Good Interpersonal skills
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 16,619 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, the appointment is for a fixed term contract for a period of 6 months. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/09/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 18 April 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.