The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Nutritional Laboratory Technician for the Development of novel algorithms to estimate digestibility and Digestible Energy (DE) content of common African animal feed as well as carry out chemical analysis of feedstuffs and potentially other materials, using established and recognized (Association of Analytical Chemists) methods to determine nutritional characteristics of feeds.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of the 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The incumbent will be expected to independently carry out chemical analysis of feedstuffs and potentially other materials, using established and recognized (Association of Analytical Chemists) methods to determine nutritional characteristics of feeds. The analysis will include the determination of digestible energy, protein, fibre and fat. The results will be used to establish a relational database between measured physical constituents and previously determined in vivo digestibility data. A technical report on the project findings has to be written.
In addition, the incumbent is asked to produce establishing verifiable quality control protocols for nutritional wet chemistry techniques currently in use in Mazingira Centre.
- Chemical analysis of feedstuffs, the analysis will include the determination of digestible energy, protein, fibre and fat
- Create and maintain of relational databases involving large datasets
- Prepare technical report on the project findings
- Establishing verifiable quality control protocols for nutritional wet chemistry techniques currently in use in Mazingira Centre
- Undergraduate degree in a physical or applied science discipline (chemistry or livestock nutritional production would be highly regarded)
- MSc in chemistry from a recognized university
- Demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of conventional nutritional wet chemistry relevant to ruminant nutrition, including at least three months recent (verifiable) experience of independently conducting such analyses in a laboratory
- Demonstrated proficiency in the creation and maintenance of relational databases involving large datasets
- Demonstrated ability in scientific report writing
- Be highly proficient in written and spoken English
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus and is open to Kenyan nationals only.
Job Level: Job level 2B.
Duration: 6 months.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 22 May, 2017. The position title and reference number REF: SLS/05/17 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.