The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Data Systems and Visualization Specialist to contribute to the implementation of projects in the Livestock Genetics Program, in particular the African Chicken Genetic Gains (ACGG) project and the Domestic Animal Genetic Resource Information System (DAGRIS). ACGG’s vision is to increase smallholder chicken production and productivity through improved access of poor smallholder farmers to high-producing but agro-ecologically appropriate chicken genetics products in Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Nigeria. DAGRIS is an information system designed to facilitate the compilation, organization and dissemination of information on the origin, distribution, diversity, present use and status of indigenous farm animal genetic resources from past and present research results in an efficient way. This position would support ACGG, DAGRIS, and other Livestock Genetic projects in terms of data management and visualisation
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- To develop, implement, and document a visualization platform (systems + strategies) on the ILRI data portal http://data.ilri.org/portal to:
- Support project staff in generating analysis and validation queries;
- Capture and visualize ACGG indicators on productivity and production, livelihoods and gender;
- Connect genetic and phenotypic data for use in Livestock Genetic projects;
- Produce routine summaries of data.
- In developing and implementing the visualization platform, the position would:
- Execute the authority and scope to apply your expertise to many interesting technical problems;
- Prepare and share documents detailing the analysis and specifications of the system;
- Prepare and share system designs including technology options; and
- Develop the platform in collaboration with ILRI staff, in particular the RMG.
- Develop and maintain links and processes between the ILRI’s data portal and associated data management processes (metadata standards, accessibility, confidentiality, data ownership & sharing) and the ACGG project and CRP work following ILRI’s open-access and data management policy and guidelines (https:www.ilri.org/open);
- Develop visual interfaces, shared visualisation components, and custom visualisations in DAGRIS to enable users to navigate and visually manipulate compiled data on animal genetic resources;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest tools and resources, including open-source software, for the collection, management, storage, sharing and visualisation of information; and
- Participate in resource mobilization efforts as required;
- MSc in Information Systems, Informatics, Business Analytics, or related field;
- At least 5 years relevant work experience in large-scale data management;
- Proven experience in planning and delivering stakeholder driven data visualization platforms using tools such as R or Python, and demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends, tools, and practices supporting data and visualization;
- Significant experience with SQL language and MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle or MS SQL Server databases is required;
- Knowledge of C++ programming language would be an advantage;
- Extensive knowledge of diverse database platforms, information system architectures (web and desktop) and development tools/languages;
- Ability to lead and mentor technical staff in the development of data management, information system solutions and data visualisation;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the capacity to foster a trust-based enabling and collaborative environment for data sharing and exchange;
- Ability to effectively interact in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Willingness to travel to field locations within sub-Saharan Africa;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Post location: The position is based in Addis Ababa – Ethiopia.
Position level: The position level is 4C.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 16 June 2017. The position title and reference number DSVS/05/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.