POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – EXTERNAL
International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA)
General: The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) seeks to hire a Project Coordinator who coordinates field implementation of IFAD funded small ruminant value chain development project. Assist field implementation of activities in Genetics flagship under Livestock CRP and who will be a member of ICARDA-Ethiopia team.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization temporarily based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ICARDA is committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: http://www.icarda.org.
- Coordinates field implementation of activities related to small ruminant value chain transformation (IFAD SmaRT project) across 8 sites in Ethiopia;
- Coordinates field implementation of community-based breeding programs and activities related to genetics flagship in CRP Livestock;
- Facilitates interactions among researchers across the value chain sites to make their work more effective, fostering collaboration and synergies where possible;
- Identifies and agrees with the relevant project and partner staff across the sites, their roles in implementing the work plan each year, including specific deliverables and their timing and prepare a consolidated annual program of work and budget to support the agreed activities;
- Develops and manages strategic partnerships and research collaborations that improve the ability of the team to achieve the agreed outputs and outcomes;
- Be responsible for developing a small ruminant research and development plan based on small ruminant value chain problems and opportunities, in consultation with staff and partners;
- Monitors progress in implementing the activities and delivering outputs, and prepares an annual progress report using an agreed upon format;
- Be responsible for synthesizing and publishing small ruminant research and development results;
- Builds capacity and knowledge of service providers in approaches and small ruminant value chain interventions through formal training courses and on the job trainings;
- Contributes scientific and technical inputs to specific components of the value chain research according to competency and experience; and Supervises graduate students at MSc/PhD levels;
- PhD in Animal Breeding/ genetics or equivalent degree
- Professional qualification in project management and monitoring and evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Understanding of value chain concepts
- Experience in teamwork and people management skills in a multicultural environment
- Excellent communications skills including verbal, written English and presentation skills;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, leadership skills and a proven networker
- Knowledge of computers and database/spreadsheet/word processing software.
- At least 10 years’ experience in livestock research and development
- Experience in capacity building
- At least 3 -5 years post-doctoral experience, especially as it relates to the design, implementation and communication of applied livestock research
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 41,545.00 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with the Initial appointment of two years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities that are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: PC/20/17 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 21 June 2017.
To find more about ICARDA, visit our Website at www.icarda.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.