POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – EXTERNAL
Lab Technical Assistant
International Center of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE)
The positions: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE)) seeks to hire a Lab Technical Assistant who will be based in Addis Ababa Ethiopia.
General: International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE)—African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world, through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organizations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 100 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www.icipe.org
- To provide overall lab technical assistance to the Researchers in fruit fly and its natural enemy
- To support scientists and students in carrying out experiments, trials
- To collect from field and lab organize and report to IBCARP Fruit fly IPM project and Citrus IPM projects.
- To rear fruit fly and its natural enemies to reduce mango fruit fly infestation and improve mango production and productivity through research for efficient, safe and sustainable production of quality and healthy mango in Ethiopia.
- To conduct field, green house and laboratory experiments following icipe scientific procedures and guidelines and as instructed by the supervisor.
- To rear and maintain colonies of African Fruit Flies, Citrus psyllids and white mango scale and their natural enemies.
- Collect and record data for scientific research of field, green house and laboratory experiments and maintaining a proper data storage system.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining excellent contact/rapport with farming communities involved in Fruit Fly IPM, Citrus IPM and White mango Scale
- Ensure that rearing laboratories are clean and well maintained.
- Assist in organising training, demonstrations and workshop.
- Maintain the smooth running, safety and sanitation of rearing facilities
- Plan for procurement of lab supplies and maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment at all times.
- Assist in their training and undertake any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- College Diploma in Biology, Plant science and related areas.
- Two-three year work experience in lab technician and relevant areas
- Candidates with working experience in a busy research laboratory with extensive field work related to crop pests and parasitoids will have an added advantage
- Practical experience for period noted above as an assistant in a relevant laboratories
- Experience in handling and working with insects and their natural enemies especially parasitoids
- Experience in designing and managing experiments /trials related to insect pests/vectors and related plant diseases
Other desirable attributes of the successful candidate
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Fast thinking and able to solve day to day research challenges in a practical manner
- Maintains frequent contact with scientists and other technical staff for exchange of information.
- A team player with ability to maintain harmonious working relationship in a multi-cultural and multi-racial environment.
- Highly motivated, responsible individuals with the ability to support a wide range of laboratory works with an excellent understanding of English
- Ability for conducting training in technical laboratory support
- Must be computer literate.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Position level: 1C.
Minimum Base Salary:
- Birr 7,312 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the selected candidate)
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for two years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. ICIPE offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. ICIPE is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference numbers should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letters. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 22 June 2017.
To find more about ICIPE, visit our Website at http://www.icipe.org