POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – EXTERNAL
International Center of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE)
The positions: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE) seeks to hire a Field Assistant who will be based in Gamo Gofa zones, Ethiopia.
General: International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (ICIPE)—African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world, through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organizations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 100 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www.icipe.org
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Liaise with research officers/scientists about the work requirement of the program;
- Assist in establishing of Fruit Fly and its Natural Enemy field trails, community mobilization, trap management, quality data collection under the supervision of the program manager;
- Assist in training farmers and extension workers on the dissemination and promotion of Fruit Fly Control Technologies;
- Assist in liaising with the Zonal and District Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resource and Administrative offices
- Work in harmony with Plant Health Clinics of the Zone to facilitate the program;
- Carry out a range of technical tasks as well as specialized duties as given by the project manager.
- College Diploma in Biology, Plant Sciences or Crop Production
- Five years for secondary school completed
- Two years for college diploma holders
- Valid driving license to ride a motorbike will be an advantage
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English essential
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal relationship
- Good working knowledge of Local and Amharic languages
Duty Station: Gamo Gofa, Ethiopia
Position level: 1C.
Minimum Base Salary:
- Birr 7,312 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the selected candidate).
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for two years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. ICIPE offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. ICIPE is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference numbers should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letters. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 22 June 2017.
To find more about ICIPE, visit our Website at http://www.icipe.org