POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – EXTERNAL
National Liaison and Protocol Officer
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a National Liaison and Protocol Officer who will be a member of national liaison and protocol unit. The incumbent will be engaged in developing and maintaining effective liaison and good working relationship with government offices, diplomatic missions, international agencies and non-governmental organizations in Ethiopia in order to ensure the smooth running of ILRI’s operations in Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Processes arrival formalities with Ministry of Foreign Affairs and duty free privileges for International Recruited Staff (IRS) at the customs authority;
- Facilitates the insurance, ID cards, driving license, bank accounts, etc. for newly arriving IRS;
- Assists board members, the Director General and VIP guests on arrival and departure at the airport and arranges the use of VIP lounge as appropriate;
- Handles import and export formalities and follows-up with the packing and forwarding agency for ILRI Official Requests and for personal effects of staff;
- Handles Visa matters for staff authorized dependents and ILRI official guests;
Assists in the purchase, sale, inspection and registration formalities of ILRI and IRS official vehicles;
- Handles emergency air ambulance landing procedures in consultation with the MOFA Situation Room;
- Arranges the issuance and renewal of fuel purchase permit, Licenses and Radio communication equipment, processes sealing, reactivating or disposal as appropriate;
- Follows up with utility companies for the installation and repair of telephone, water and electric lines;
- Prepare monthly report of the Liaison and Protocol Unit;
- Ensure proper filing system of records are maintained;
- Administers travel arrangement and maintains good working relationship with different airlines to secure better deals to the Institute;
- Assists the institute with strategic activities which aid in promoting ILRI’s mission.
Coordinates and organizes programs for visitors in consultation with the concerned unit or department;
- Arranges appointments/visits for ILRI Directorate with partners in Ethiopia;
Advises ILRI leadership on matters of protocol when meeting with government officials and other partners;
- Assists in maintaining an up–to-date database of important contacts of key institutions;
- Assists in maintaining positive relationships between ILRI and the local community;
- Work with local government and the local community to resolve any arising issues;
- Assists in the organization of meetings, workshops and ILRI events in Ethiopia especially in relation to travel, immigration and protocol issues;
- As requested, assists in establishing and maintaining relations with media in Ethiopia; organize for press coverage as required;
- As requested, promotes ILRI with partners in Ethiopia and assist in identifying opportunities to increase ILRI presence and visibility with partners in Ethiopia;
- Supervises and evaluates subordinate staff;
- Other duties as assigned.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BA degree in Management/Public Administration/Information/Public Relations or related disciplines
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in international organizations, Foreign Missions, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOF), Airlines etc.
- Good knowledge of rules, regulations, and procedures of government and other agencies.
- Competent driver with current driving license.
- Pleasant personality with very good communication skills and good command of English language.
- Knowledge of French language and other Ethiopian languages advantageous.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 23,741.00 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the selected candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: NLPO/21/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 4 July 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.