The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Post-doctoral Scientist – Farming Systems Analysis to further the development of data collection tools essential to the trade off and monitoring and evaluation activities of ILRI under Sustainable Livestock Systems (SLS).
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Improve the current data management system used for our farm household survey toolset (i.e. RHoMIS, the Rural Household Multiple Indicator Survey, http://rhomis.net), further develop the existing standardised/automated analysis code and develop an online system for survey generation
- Application of RHoMIS in a range of different projects in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, DRC and Burundi
- Analyse of the data and report results to support targeting and evaluation of ongoing role out of technological interventions
- Develop avenues to increase the uptake of RHoMIS by small and medium sized iNGOs
- Analysing the overall database that is currently being set up using RHoMIS applications across the developing world to identify generic drivers of food and nutritional security
- Contribution to the development of new research proposals
- Publication of the results of his/her research in peer-reviewed international journals.
- PhD in agronomy, social sciences or environmental sciences
- Extensive experience with farm household survey tools
- Extensive working experience in developing countries
- Strong quantitative skills
- Track record of publishing peer-reviewed articles
- Extensive work experience in developing countries in Africa, Asia or Latinamerica
- Programming knowledge of ODK and R
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: Post-doctoral level.
Duration: The position is on a 2 years fixed term contract.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 10 July 2017. The position title and reference number: PD/SLS/06/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Those who had applied for the
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.