Administrative Assistant – Internal/External
Feed and Forage Development
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Administrative Assistant who will be working with Feed & Forage Development (FFD) team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in preparing progress reports, working documents, research papers and manuals
- Draft and type routine correspondences
- Maintain filing and other office systems
- Handles communication including telephone, fax and email
- Assists in preparing programmes for visitors, including hostel bookings, airport transfer, ticketing etc
- Assists in processing seed request
- Arranges travel schedules and related logistics (including fund monitoring), together with expense claims
- Assists in managing schedules for scientists and program members
- Assists in preparing presentations, and related logistics
- Assists in workshop organization and implementation
- Maintains office environment and stationary supplies with appropriate records
- Liaises with the appropriate units for repair, supply and maintenance of office facilities
- Assists in other routine administrative matters.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- Diploma in Secretarial Science & Office Management, Business Administration or other relevant field of study from a recognized university or college.
- 2 years of relevant experience in secretarial work and office management plus technical training.
Skills and Competencies:
- Efficiency with use of (Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) is essential
- Familiarity with Accounting and Financial Regulations and Rules will be an asset
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to work independently and to maintain flexibility in working hours;
- Ability to interact positively and maintain good relations with ILRI staff as well as partners/collaborators
- Good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality
- Effective planning and organisational skills and ability to handle work in an efficient and timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 8,357 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the select candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: AA/26/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 20 July 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.