POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – INTERNAL
ICT Customer Services Technician
19 July 2017
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an ICT Customer Services Technician who will be a member of Information and Communication Technology team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animal alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.
A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa (Mali, Mozambique and Nigeria) and in South Asia (India and Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand and Vietnam) and East Asia (China). www.ilri.org.
ICT Customer Services Technicians are responsible for responding to customer requests by diagnosing and resolving problems and for supporting the ongoing technology needs of all employees by providing Level 1 and 2 help desk support. They work with a broad range of infrastructure products and basic networking components. They provide maintenance and support for moderately to highly complex client products and work on one or more projects concurrently as a team member.
- First point of contact and day-to-day technical support to end users;
- Responds to Level 1 and 2 support requests via multiple sources such as phone and e-mail;
- Enters call data into the tracking system.
- Interacts with clients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Provides user access service.
- Diagnoses problems by evaluating multiple options.
- Develops checklists and scripts for resolving routine problems.
- Escalates problems when necessary.
- Documents problem status and resolution in tracking log.
PHYSICAL AND VIRTUAL MEETINGS:
- Ensures that audio visual conferencing equipment in the meeting rooms are in good working condition. These are Projectors, Mixers, Screens, Microphones, Speakers, Cameras, Amplifiers, associated desktop computers and laptops in meeting rooms.
- Setups and operates the audio visual and PA systems as per the different meeting room arrangements upon clients’ request, administer accordingly including recording of meetings as required.
- Supports virtual meetings and collaboration spaces using available Audio Video Conference facilities like Skype, WebEx, gTalk, Skype for Business, upstream and any others tool available over the internet and telecommunication links.
- Gathers feedback on conferencing services quality from participants and opportunities to improve – Share and implement in liaison with other key staff.
- Develops the annual preventive maintenance schedule for all AV equipment and meeting rooms and handle/facilitate the exercise, provides quarterly reports on maintenance and utilization.
- Proactively develop contacts with other institutions with similar AV equipment and activities to ensure that the Centre maintains a state of the art audio visual equipment and practices.
- Conducts regular training and awareness sessions on use of available audio visual equipment and tools.
- Be available to provide required support for meetings held out of office hours.
- Provides basic ICT support to meeting participants and escalating to relevant ICT staff tasks that he/she cannot handle.
CLIENT TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT:
- Coordinates the deployment of new or upgraded images, software and hardware for multiple clients.
- Configures and installs desktop PCs, peripheral equipment, laptops and other mobile devices.
- Follows established procedures for performing configuration changes, updates and upgrades.
- Performs minor repairs to hardware, software, and peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Provides on-going support of client technology.
- Monitors and communicates system status.
- Diagnoses and resolves client workstation and mobile device hardware and software issues.
- Creates temporary solutions until permanent solutions can be implemented.
- Assists systems, programming, and vendor professionals, as needed to resolve problems.
SERVICE LEVEL MANAGEMENT:
- Collaborates in the development of service-level objectives and takes steps to meet or exceed targets.
- Explains service procedures to clients.
- Follows up in a timely manner to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Keeps performance metrics.
- Identifies recurring and potential problems and notifies team members.
- Recommends procedures and controls for service improvements.
- Recommends ideas for improving queue time, abandoned call rates and first contact resolution
- Maintains passwords and users credentials to assure systems security and data integrity.
- Adheres to the integrity of controls, regulations and guidelines.
- Creates, modifies and reviews documentation of issues resolutions.
- Documents solutions to common problems and responses to frequently asked questions.
- Creates and submits documented resolution to Knowledge Base.
- Maintains IT inventory management for all IT equipment and/or software in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Alerts team members about recurring problems.
- Communicates updates on issues in a timely manner to ensure client satisfaction and productivity.
- Communicate suggestions on backup and recovery procedures.
- Makes suggestions for the design of a standard set of integrated products (standard image) by recommending hardware and software products to meet client requirements.
- Recommends products to clients by understanding needs and referring to corporate standards list.
- Participates in integration and user acceptance testing.
- Provides input during project planning and requirements phase.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of basic to moderately complex hardware and software products and problem solving / diagnostic skills.
- Three years of IT work experience with additional experience on large meeting rooms audio visual systems. Technical training on audio visual system is advantage.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as necessary. domestically and internationally
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 12,536 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: ICST/23/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 26 July 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.