he Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate who will be a member of Climate Change Agriculture and Food Security, CCAFS East Africa team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
The purpose of the Research Associate position is to support coordination of research activities within the CCAFS Climate-Smart Villages (CSVs) across East Africa – Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, working with a wide range of partners from government, national and international research institutions including other CG centers, universities, private sector, NGOs and others.
- Contribute to developing CSA research interventions that respond to climate related risks, jointly with partners across the CSVs, provide technical support/backstopping to implementing partners, and coordinate CVS day to day activities and monitoring visits for quality control and timely problem solving;
- Co-design and update monitoring instruments (quantitative and qualitative), sampling strategies and other protocols for collection of monitoring data in CSVs;
- Coordinate data collection within the CSVs through household surveys for socio-economic assessments, biophysical (e.g. on soil fertility, agricultural productivity, adaptation and mitigation indicators);
- Supervise and monitor other field data collection efforts, training of enumerators and instituting quality assurance standards and checks, coordinate data entry, data management, and archiving, including data from implementing partners, data generated through consultancies, and other secondary data;
- Contribute to statistical analyses, interpret and use results towards feeding lessons and recommendations back into program implementation;
- Contribute to synthesis of knowledge outputs through publications – working papers, info-notes, research reports, policy briefs, peer reviewed articles and other scientific publications;
- Contribute to capacity building of farmers and partners in CSVs through coordinating farmer learning events, exchange visits, training through Agricultural Trade Fairs, in relation to crop management and livestock production trainings and other relevant training;
- Contribute to the annual work planning and annual technical reporting for the CSVs through the CCAFS online planning and reporting platform – Managing Agricultural Research for Learning and Outcomes (MARLO).
Academic and professional qualifications:
- MSc in Agriculture, Natural Resource Management or related fields;
- At least 2 years’ post-graduate experience in a research organization or environment;
- Experience in designing tools for data collection, familiarity with digital data collection tools such ODK, CSPro an advantage
- Experience in producing project reports, and scientific publications;
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in the development and use of database systems for large-scale surveys;
- Good Knowledge of statistical packages for data analysis (R, SPSS, STATA), some programming, MS–Excel and working with large databases;
- Good understanding of monitoring surveys, extending to study design as well as quantitative and qualitative analytic methods.
- Competence in quantitative analysis, and experience with statistical packages (R, SPSS, STATA)
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft package
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 21,367 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: CS/35/2017 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 1 December 2017.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.