The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) ILRI seeks to recruit an Accountant to join the Finance team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
The Accountant will provide efficient and quality service in the field of finance and accounting in accordance with International financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
Main duties & responsibilities:
Prepares, analyses and processes collections vouchers
- For all deposits to Local birr accounts – Collections made by analysing the income accounts to be credited either internal or external;
- Cheques received should be deposited in ILRI’s bank account on the same day or if after banking hours, on the morning of the next working day provided the amount to be deposited does not exceed the bank birr deposit limit;
- Checks the completeness of the documents, coding, applicable account codes, cost centre codes, authorization and input the data into the sun system on the subsequent day and generates batch listing which serve as Journal vouchers for checking and approval;
- Makes sure that all receipts, debit and credit advices are collected & attached with their respective vouchers and reports the outstanding payments weekly to Treasury Officer.
Ensures Timely circulation and safe handling of cheques and receipts
- Ensures the safe circulation of cheques to the respective signatories as per specific mandates of each bank account;
- Sequentially records in the appropriate register books of all signed cheques and handover to registry immediately;
- Ensures that all cancelled cheques are recorded as “CANCELLED” in the register book;
- Keeps all unused cheques, official receipts and cancelled cheques in a safety cabinet and maintains register book for same;
- Ensures that unused cheques and official receipts are duly signed by the recipients on the register book upon issuance and make sure that inventory status of unused cheques, receipts & cancelled cheques are reported to the Finance Officer.
Management of credit suppliers
- Follow up the collection of invoices from credit suppliers within 5 days after the receipt of the goods or services;
- Perform matching of the invoice with PO and GRN;
- Follow up processing of payments to suppliers within the credit period.
Safe custody of blank cheques, receipts and invoices
- Keeps under safe custody all unused blank cheques of foreign and local banks, receipts, invoices and dispatch to the accountants by making them sign on the register book assigned for this purpose;
- Asks for replenishment of blank cheques and receipts when the quantity are lowering down; always make sure that there are at least for three months’ consumption.
Maintains proper files
- Maintain the finance help desk account and assign task to the responsible accountant through e-mail;
- Follows up all the bank signatory list of various banks on the changes of addition and / or cancellation and write letters to banks accordingly;
- Ensures & updates information such as changes in bank accounts, signatories mandates are filed accordingly in the relevant bank Files;
- Other relevant information is available in the banks Files;
- Makes sure that signatories leaving the Institute are deleted immediately from their signatory authorizations;
- Maintain a separate file for each of the hosted institutes and ensure the files are updated timely;
- Maintain correspondence files with internal and external stake holders.
Documentation and archives
- Delivers and collects cheque and bank letters to and from signatory offices;
- Delivers bank letters to the bank and collects bank advices, bank statements and exchange rates tables;
- Collects invoices and payment documents from the mail room and match the invoices with the corresponding journal and supporting documents;
- Makes photocopies of documents for Finance as required;
- Proper maintenance of the archives under the supervision of the deputy finance manager;
- Assists in the monthly VAT refund processing.
- Handles petty cash funds for the unit as the need may arise;
- Takes business advances for the finance section special activities;
- Sorts out both outgoing and incoming mails for finance section to the concerned accountants;
- When signed cheque are sent to the mailing room, ensure an e-mail task assignment has been initiated to the responsible mailing clerk;
- Maintains adequate supply of stationery and other office supplies for the unit;
- Advises the Country Finance Manager and the concerned Officers on any outstanding issues in the responsibility areas;
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- BA degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Good computer skills.
- Must be an IT literate in use of Microsoft packages and conversant with ERP application software such as Agresso Business World used for financial management
- 5 years’ relevant experience
- Work experience at least in part in an international NGO or an international organization
Duty Station: Addis Ababa.
Job level: 2C.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 19,112 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: A/02/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letters. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 23 February 2018.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.