The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Scientist – Immunology to assist in African Swine fever vaccine development
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Direct responsibility for planning experiments, outputs of projects and creating new tools, methods, approaches
- Down-selection of antigens for inclusion in viral vectored vaccine candidates, using ELISpot screening of CD8 cells and CD4 cells, antibody neutralization assay, and ELISAs.
- Viral work, growth of ASFV and viral vectors and titrations
- Development of flowcytometric assays for memory cells, multifunctional T-cells etc.
- Planning and execution of pig animal experiments, including protection experiments. Assessment of immune responses and correlations.
- Working with existing partners
- Conducting science of an international standard and establishing a publications record
- Staff supervisory responsibility, supervision of technician (s)
- Participation in proposal development and report writing to funder (the former, if relevant calls are available and timing fits).
- PhD in Immunology, virology
- Experience in immunology and virology
- Experience with animal experiments, preferably pig experiments
- Experience with the following methods is desirable: IFN-ELISpot, ELISA, neutralization assay, CTL assay, PCR
- Experience regarding teamwork/management of technicians is desired.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: Post-doctoral level.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 10 July 2018. The position title and reference number: PD/AAH/06/2018should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.