The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Accountant- Research who will Work with the Deputy Finance Manager for research in providing efficient quality service in the field of finance and accounting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. http://www.ilri.org
A. Financial report preparation
• Prepare monthly account detail and relevant schedules and present to the Research Finance Manager for review;
• Prepare aging reports and initiate action for balances outstanding for more than a month;
• Prepare statement of accounts for suppliers and make follow up on the timely analysis, invoice matching and allocation of open items by liaising with the accountants;
• Follow-up the analysis and allocation of partners accounts by liaising with PMOs and programme accountants;
• Assist budget holders, PMOs and programme accounts during the preparation of project and donor financial reports.
B. Staff account follow-up
• Follow up if staff accounts are analysed and allocation of open items is performed appropriately by liaising with the accountants;
• Generate aging of staff accounts and initiate action for balances outstanding for more than a month;
• Prepare statement of staff accounts and for accounts with long outstanding balance e-mail to staff and budget holders for prompt settlement;
• Analyse IRS staff personal account and send statement of accounts on a monthly basis.
• Verify the payments requests received do have sufficient/appropriate supporting evidence are mathematically correct, compliance to policy and procedures BH approval;
• Record transactions accurately in the system;
• Process payments within 4 days after the receipt of the request;
• Record the completion of the request in outlook task.
D. Travel and work advance processing and liquidation
• Verify the travel authorization submitted is correct, approved and comply with ILRI travel policy requirements;
• Prepare advance payments within 4 days after the receipt of the travel authorization;
• Analyse staff accounts for the project allocated;
• Process advance liquidation or expense recording within 5 days after the receipt of the original invoices and relevant documents by verifying the supporting documents presented are appropriate, sufficient and in line with ILRI’s travel policy.
E. Petty cash management
• Verify the summary and the supporting documents presented for petty cash replenishment are sufficient and appropriate;
• Replenish petty cash within 4 days after the receipt of the petty cash summary report and supporting documents;
• Conduct periodic petty cash verification through quarterly cash count and reconciliation.
• Assist the Research D/ Finance Manager in task management by participating in the monthly task status report preparation and analysis;
• Assists the accountants in the performance of their daily duties;
• Deputizes the Research Finance Manager whenever s/he is not in the office.
Undertakes any other assignment that may be given by the supervisor.
Academic and professional qualifications:
• BA Degree in Accounting, Finance or related fields. MBA degree in Accounting or Finance or any Accounting Qualifications such as ACCA, CPA is a plus.
• BA degree plus 5 years’ experience or MBA degree plus 2 years’ experience in accounting
• Two years’ experience in a supervisory position
• Work experience at least in part in a non-profit or an international organization
• Knowledge of computerized accounting software required
• Good computer skills
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 24,572 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history
of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: SA/23/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 9 August 2018.
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert