The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Genebank Database Management Specialist who will be a member of Feed and Forage Development Program team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. http://www.ilri.org.
The forage Genebank team maintains a large amount of data on the diversity of the germplasm in the collection and a relational database on the quality and availability of the germplasm in the intrust collections stored in the ILRI Genebank. Data validation and improvement of data completeness and quality is essential for smooth Genebank operations. Improved management of forage genetic resources data activities are being implemented under the Genebank platform to support enhanced data access and knowledge sharing.
• Manage and improve ILRI genebank databases (seed and field inventories, characterisation, and germplasm health) and software with a focus on the implementation of the GRIN-global database and associated wizards and e-data recording tools;
• Plan, coordinate, design, develop, implement and participate in each of the activities corresponding to the development and operation of computer systems that allow the management and access to documentation of the ILRI Genebank collections;
• Ensure that genebank collection data is up-to-date and accessible to external users via Genesys and the ILRI website in accordance with information-sharing policies and the terms of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture;
• Maintain database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results, identification of problem areas and troubleshooting problems;
• Keep the Genebank Manager and Senior Management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems;
• Secure the databases by preparing access and control policies and procedures; implementing disaster recovery procedures;
• Support genebank staff in the management of germplasm requests and the preparation of SMTA reports;
• Implement and promote digital object identifiers (DOIs) for ILRI genebank accessions;
• Develop and adapt mobile apps and web services with GRIN-Global;
• Manage the users’ group and provide training on the use of GRIN Global, Curator Tool and the Public Website;
• Support genebank staff in the management of passport, inventory, germplasm distribution, phenotypic, genotypic and germplasm health data linked to genebank accessions;
• Collaborate with the CIAT genebank to harmonize data management of forage collections between the two institutions;
• Plan, design, develop, implement and participate in each of the activities corresponding to the development and operation of computer systems that allow the management and access to documentation of the ILRI Genebank collections;
• Optimise field e-data collection techniques;
• Maintain, improve and carryout processes already in place, e.g., preparing and printing digital labels and barcodes to further support the increased efficiency of genebank workflows;
• Upload images of accessions (by scanning collecting sheets and characterization forms) in GRIN-Global;
• Improve the structure/order of files/folders on the shared network drive;
• Communicate with staff concerning updates and changes made to the systems;
• Keep up-to-date with changes and advancements in genebank data management and software applications.
Academic and professional qualifications:
• Relevant BSc degree or MSc degree plus a relevant post graduate qualification in Information Systems Technology, Database Management, Computer Science or related field
• At least 5 years of database management experience for BSc degree or 2 years relevant experience for Masters’ degree
• Excellent database management and software development
• Experience with development of mobile applications (for Android)
• Excellent managerial and multitasking skills
• Interest and ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment
• Proficiency with written and spoken English
• Ability to detect problems or deficiencies in the computer system that supports the documentation of collections and their processes, and develop solutions
• Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Monthly Base Salary:
• Birr 24,572 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: GDS/29/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 9 October 2018.
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert