The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant – Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) / Bacteriophage (phage) Therapy to provide technical assistance to a team working on the use of phages as a One Health approach for the replacement of antibiotics, and reduction of drug resistant nontyphoidal Salmonella in poultry farms in Kenya. The project, which is in collaboration with the Université Laval (Canada), will consist of novel phage discovery from Kenya and will involve in vitro and in vivo characterization of both newly discovered phages as well as phages from the Université Laval phage collection.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Collect clinical samples from chickens and water samples from poultry farms as well as during in vivo experiments;
- Grow bacteria on differential and selective media;
- Extract genomic DNA from bacteria, and perform PCR and agarose-gel electrophoresis assays;
- Prepare bacteriophage stocks for in vitro and in vivo experiments;
- Perform bacterial counts and phage titrations;
- Prepare media, store reagents, use and maintain complex scientific equipment/machines, reagents used in the laboratories;
- Keep detailed records of experiments, organize data, trouble-shoot and assist in determining most suitable experimental methodologies to optimize results, and present results to regular lab meetings.
- A Bachelor’s degree in microbiology or molecular biology. A master’s will be an added advantage.
- Good theoretical background on bacteriology and molecular biology;
- Experience with bacterial isolation and culture;
- Knowledge and experience with basic molecular techniques such as PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis and quantitative real-time PCR;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English;
- Experience in conducting animal studies is an advantage;
- Prior experience with bacteriophages and/or with poultry is an added advantage.
This position is job level 2B, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
Duration: 2.5 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ 14 February, 2019. The position title and reference number REF: RA/01/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at https://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.