The position: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeks to recruit Senior Research Officer – Irrigation Agronomist for its office based at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to Provide scientific leadership in synthesizing best-bet Irrigation agronomy technologies, tools and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond.
General: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is an International organization, one of the 15 CGIAR centres, which conducts agricultural research for rural development in drought-prone of Africa and Asia, headquartered in Patancheru (Hyderabad, Telangana, India) with several regional centers (Bamako (Mali), Nairobi (Kenya)) and country offices, including in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ICRISAT adopts integrated genetic and natural resources management as its overarching research strategy to improve productivity and enhance resilience of dryland systems. ICRISAT-Ethiopia works with national partners on availing technologies to dry land farmers and agro-pastoralists, enhancing technology utilization, linking farmers to markets, and strengthening the national capacity.
Job Purpose: ICRISAT and partners have been engaged in developing efficient dryland irrigation systems in Ethiopia and other sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) countries intended to minimize risks of drought, increase productivity and enhance resilience of fragile landscapes.
- Provide scientific leadership in synthesizing best-bet Irrigation agronomy technologies, tools and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond
- Identify incentive mechanisms for adopting best-bet irrigation agronomy technologies and practices, by reviewing existing in-country and broader experiences
- Facilitate national and international partners in improving production and productivity of irrigation agriculture, with particular emphasis on horticulture and irrigation water management
- Conduct various cross-scheme, on-farm irrigation agronomy trials through organizing and facilitating farmers research groups in four regions of Ethiopia
- Work with multi-disciplinary team of irrigation engineers, modellers, input suppliers, social scientists and other experts to support an efficient small-scale irrigation which would bring increased benefits to farmers
- Develop and strengthen partnership between the various bureaus and regional agricultural research institutions so that expertise and technologies from the various institutions reach farmers’ fields and schemes
- Facilitate training events, cross-site and cross-regional visits, and expert meetings in improved scheme management including on-farm water management, soil fertility management, IPM, seed systems and home garden management
- Back stop regional and woreda experts in compiling and sharing scheme level information on irrigation agriculture
- Publish major scientific findings in journals, book chapters and other communication outlets. Distil key lessons across sites and regions on irrigation success factors and institutional learning
- Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts of ICRISAT and the CGIAR Research Programs through writing research proposals, building capacity in our partners, engaging with the University sector by co-supervising postgraduate students
- Support the project manager in communications and compilation of knowledge; facilitating workshops and reaching experts engaged in SSI in the regions
- PhD or Master’s degree in in Irrigation Agronomy, Horticulture, Entomology, soil science
- PhD with 3 years’ experience or Masters with 10 years’ experience
- Significant expertise in planning and executing irrigation agriculture agronomic practices at scheme and watershed scales
- Considerable practical agricultural experience, including experience on facilitating FRGs, on-farm experimentation and working with farmers
- Experience with adapting agricultural practices to local biophysical and socio-economic conditions
- Record of writing scientific papers and compiling, publishing and sharing knowledge
- Willingness to travel and stay considerable time away from home
- Commitment to improve farm productivity and address rural poverty
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder farmers in the highly vulnerable climates of the semi-arid tropics and agronomic knowledge of the major crops and cropping systems of Ethiopia and region
- In-depth knowledge in a technical or specialized field
- Understanding of theoretical concepts / principles and their context
- Ability to work with people at various skills and institutions
- Demonstrated ability to write proposals and fund raising
- Must be an IT literate in use of Microsoft and Statistical packages
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travels to the respective regions and woredas.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 57,880 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: SRO/11/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 5 March 2019.
To find more about ICRISAT, visit our Website at www.icrisat.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.