The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate – Food Safety and One Health to conduct activities under food safety intervention and One Health research programs at ILRI’s East and Southeast Asia Office, in Hanoi, Vietnam.
ILRI works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future www.cgiar.org.
Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa www.ilri.org.
- To generate actionable evidence on the efficacy, feasibility and reach of current approaches for improving pork safety in Vietnam and East and Southeast Asia;
- To develop, pilot and test light-touch, incentive-based approaches to food safety, in close partnership with the private sector;
- To build capacity in understanding food safety risk, its management and effective communication among stakeholders including key government partners, the private sector, academia, donors and media. The field work will be in the project sites and in close collaboration with experts in food safety from ILRI and different actors of the pork value chain; pig producers, slaughterhouse, traders, consumers, private sectors, and policy and decision makers
- To support and facilitate cross-sectoral collaboration among stakeholders and promote the One Health approach
- Work as project officer to liaise with partners in arranging field activities, travelling, communication, workshop / meeting organization
- Contribute to writing of research results in the form of journal articles, report and presentations, as well as wider public media such as blog and briefs
- Contribute to the design of data collection tools, supervising data collection and data entry and lead the data management process
- Lead the quantitative analysis of primary data from surveys and of secondary data
- Assist scientists in documenting and updating information related to livestock in Vietnam and develop partnership with local institutions
- Other activities relating to good conduct of research
- Master’s degree in public health, biology, veterinary medicine or veterinary public health, food science, livestock science or agricultural science
- Experience in field work
- Excellent written and spoken English and Vietnamese
- Ability to work independently and accurately
- Able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and to travel and work at project sites if the need arises
- Computer literacy, data organization and statistical analysis skills
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Publication record (conference or paper) is preferred
- Experience in One Health, AMR, food safety research and training is an added advantage
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Hanoi Office, Vietnam for a 2-year fixed term period with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Job Level: This position is job level 2D Level 3. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal https://www.ilri.org/jobs on or before 05 April 2019. The position title and reference number RA/Hanoi/03/2019 be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer