The position: The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) is seeks to recruit Driver/Field Assistant at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Office.
General: The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health. The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org.
Job Purpose: Provide driving and related services to the ICRAF Ethiopia office and to its 10 projects, other than PATSPO, which are currently implemented and managed by the ICRAF-Ethiopia office.
- Undertakes driving assignments given by the Project Coordinator and other professional staff of the project;
- Operates, maintains and cleans assigned vehicles with care and reports any damage immediately to the Project Coordinator;
- Records and maintains the log-book for all vehicles that the responsibility of the project or vehicles hired by the project for specific activities either from other ILRI units or outside ILRI;
- Responsible for all tools, equipment and spare parts of assigned vehicles;
- Responsible for checking all the assigned vehicles of the project every morning;
- Liaises with Transport Unit to ensure that routine service and maintenance is undertaken timely;
- Purchases small items or procure other services from outside ILRI for the project if required;
- Assists professional staff, Research Assistants and Associates in the field work;
- Keeps an inventory of equipment used by enumerators and field assistants while in the field;
- Be responsible for payment of enumerators in the field, if required and asked by the Project;
- Assists in handling of office duties when required;
- Regularly acquits and clears all cash advances for field activities;
- Assists in translating questionnaires to proper languages at survey sites;
- Assists in the logistic preparation, printing and dissemination of data collection questionnaires;
- Assists in the administering manpower and other resources in planned field works;
- Assists Project Coordinator in recruiting field supervisors and enumerators;
- Assists field supervisors in the follow up and support of enumerators and field assistants; and
- Performs other related duties assigned by the project coordinator.
- Diploma in relevant field or Certificate in relevant technical training and high school certificate
- Diploma with one year relevant experience or Certificate in relevant technical training and high school certificate with three years relevant experience
- Knowledge in relevant field and use of simple tools and equipment
- Valid driving license for double cab pick-up
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English is essential
- Willingness to work after office hours and/or holidays if required
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good inter-personal relationship
- Technical training and Auto mechanics knowledge is advantageous
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 8,500 (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: DFA/21/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 31 May 2019.
To find more about ICRAF, visit our Website at www.worldagroforestry.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.