The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate II to provide technical support to the Brachiaria grasses research project.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
ILRI manages the BecA-ILRI Hub, a shared research and biosciences platform. BecA-ILRI Hub is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/African Union African Biosciences Initiative. It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region. The BecA-ILRI Hub is a modern, state of the art biosciences facility, a suite of shared platforms established for research, capacity building and research related services in support of African and international agricultural scientists. Further information is available at http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
- Isolation of plant beneficial microbes of Brachiaria grass and other tropical forage species, and their identification using classical taxonomy and molecular techniques.
- Biochemical characterization of endophytes and other plant associated microbes for plant beneficial properties in laboratory and evaluate subset of microbes in greenhouse and field conditions for plant growth promotion, phosphate solubilization, drought tolerance and diseases management.
- Regular maintenance of working and stock culture of fungi and bacteria.
- Mass multiplication of tropical forage species using tissue culture technique.
- Collection of experimental data, summarise and write technical report and research articles.
- Carry other activities in line with his/her skills and competencies as required by the BecA-ILRI Hub’s Brachiaria project.
- Bachelor’s /Master’s degree in agriculture and biological sciences and related field
- At least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience of working in laboratory and field environments
- Preference will be given to the candidate with experience in molecular biology, biotechnology, microbiology techniques, agriculture and bioinformatics
- Fluent English language skills, both written and spoken
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 2-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level HG11, and ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position,, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 24 June 2019. The position title and reference number REF: RA/ BecA/ 2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.