The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate – Consultant who will assist in field work and data collection, translating to English and transcribing as well as documenting the (observation) notes from interviews, field days, the workshop and transect walks. However, we expect some flexibility of the research assistant in how he or she can contribute to the wider scope of the project. It is therefore possible and legitimate that the research assistant will be assigned to other project-related tasks in addition to the above within the frame of his/her qualifications thus providing support to the supervisor and other team members as needed.
General: ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. http://www.ilri.org
The Programme for Climate Smart Livestock System (PCSL) is an initiative across East Africa (Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya) to assess the climate change mitigation and adaptation potential in livestock farming systems. In Ethiopia the project works in two regions: the Ethiopian highlands (Amhara, D. Berhan) and the dryland areas in the North (Afar) since 2019.
Program activities are implemented by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in partnership with the World Bank and focus on the combination of scientific data collection and solution-led field research on climate-smart livestock production. The program is funded and coordinated by the German Corporation for International Cooperation GmbH (GIZ).
PCSL will contribute to the creation of new insights, knowledge and evidence related to climate-smart livestock development (research) and focus on enabling key stakeholders in the livestock sector in the three focus countries to apply these new insights, knowledge and evidence (capacity development). For more information visit: https://www.ilri.org/programme-for-climatesmart-livestock-systems
• Setting up cooperation: Reach agreement with local partners regarding the analysis of adaptation practices;
• Selection of local innovators from earlier interviews based on list provided by supervisor;
• Consultation of local stakeholders on the selection of local innovators;
• Agreement and training with local innovators;
• Initial interviews and training for record keeping for local innovators;
• Monthly meeting with local innovator & collection of records;
• Preparation of field day I: Field day with local innovators and invited livestock keepers and other stakeholders (focus on livestock keepers themselves, purpose is knowledge exchange);
• Mid-term interviews local innovators & evaluation of monthly records;
• Preparation of field day II: Field day with local innovators and invited livestock keepers and other stakeholders (focus on livestock keepers themselves, purpose is knowledge exchange);
• End-term interviews with local innovators & evaluation of monthly recordsPreparation of final workshop: Workshop to present and discuss findings & implications.
Academic and professional qualifications:
• Bachelor or master’s in social science, agriculture extension and related
• Three years research experience
• Previous experience with data collection and interview transcription.
• Knowledge about the principles of citizen science and participatory research considered a plus.
• Previous experience working with research and/or academic organizations, ILRI and dairy preferred.
• Qualitative social research skills
• Experience with semi-structured interviews, group interviews
• Experience with field days and direct interaction with (agro-)pastoralists
• Facilitation skills for events and workshops led by (agro-)pastoralists
• High level of self-reliance and self-organisation
• Translating and transcribing qualitative social research data
• Working in Excel and Word
• Preparing qualitative social research data for analysis
• Knowledge about climate and change and adaptation
• Both Afaregna and English fluency required
Duty Station: Kelwan zone, Afar, Ethiopia
Terms of appointment: This is a Consultancy job, initial appointment is for thirteen months (15 days per month) with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/20/20 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 12 October 2020.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert