The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) seeks to engage a suitably qualified Consultant.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization Headquarter based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ICARDA is committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: http://www.icarda.org
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is implementing a project on Promoting climate-resilient legume value chain systems in Amhara and Oromia Regional States, Ethiopia supported by GIZ-GIC-Ethiopia. The project will be jointly implemented with Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research (Kulumsa Research Center addressing Arsi Zone) and Amhara Regional Agricultural Research Institute (Adet addressing West and East Gojam Zones and Sirinka Research Center addressing South Wollo Zone).
The purpose of this consultancy is to coordinate project activities jointly implemented by ICARDA and the three Agricultural Research Centres.
- Monthly (1-2 visits) monitoring of the implementation of project activities (on-farm action research) by partners in the intervention zones
- Co-organize one project review and planning meeting in February 2021
- In collaboration with project partners, organize one training/zone for host farmers and development agents
- Collect, analyze and prepare progress and annual reports
- Participation in organizing one project launching meeting
- Participate in baseline farmhouse surveys for 30 days in February and March 2021
- Pulse cultivars (seven cultivars per crop) assembled for on-farm trials 2021/22 cropping season
- Two training organized on the use of hermetic bags in April 2021
- One progress report after six months
MSc or PhD degree in Plant Sciences, Agricultural Extension, and related fields (Degree received after 2010)
- At least seven years’ of relevant work experience in the area of on-farm research (including participatory variety selection, crowdsourcing, etc.), household surveys, and seed system
- Knowledge of statistical software (preferably SAS and/or R) for managing and analyzing agricultural data.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of appointment: This is a consultancy position; initial appointment is for six months.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: C/01/21 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 15 January 2021.
To find more about ICARDA, visit our Website at www.icarda.org.
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.