The Position: The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) seeks to recruit a Communications Consultant to strengthen its outreach efforts, IWMI is looking for attentive, energetic, organized, dedicated, and experienced consultant who can manage multiple communication tasks. The consultant will support in the development of communications materials and multimedia products that are attractive, consistent, well written, and propel interest and action.
General: The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is a research-for-development (R4D) organization focusing on improved water management for food, livelihood, nature, and sustainable development. IWMI has offices in 13 countries with a global network of scientists operating in more than 30 countries. IWMI’s sub-regional office for East Africa and the Nile Basin is in Ethiopia. Since the establishment of the sub-regional office, IWMI with many partners has developed and implemented research projects relevant to food security, livelihoods, development, and environmental sustainability.
- Writes publicity articles for the local and international media on the activities and achievements of IWMI’s projects targeting various audiences to the general public through different media;
- Liaises IWMI-EA research staff in the selection of contents for outreach materials;
- Prepares and manage the publication and dissemination of corporate and project communication materials;
- Edits project specific contents and, in consultation with research staff, finalize contents for various communication/outreach products, such as brochures, posters, factsheets and power point slides;
- Contributes to the website, newsletters and press releases, social media, etc.;
- Manages IWMI-EA’s social media accounts: Facebook, twitter, Flickr and others;
- Contributes towards development of communication strategies;
- Maintains IWMI-EA’s communication products;
- Be responsible for photographic records of events, prepare or facilitate the production of project videos and document project activities in Ethiopia and East Africa countries;
- Collaborates with IWMI’s HQ Communication unit;
- Liaises with the media and key project partners and stakeholders on sharing audio-visual and printed communication materials.
- Undertake all necessary action to produce highly engaging online and offline content to highlight IWMI’s research and development demand response in Ethiopia and East Africa shaping it strategically in line with the regional office priorities and ensuring consistency of messaging, substantive excellence and technical quality.
- Maintain branding for IWMI outputs and affiliated multimedia products.
- Write, edit and proofreading corporate bios, photo captions, blogs, project descriptions & in briefs, press releases and media advisories, in keeping with IWMI’s editorial style.
- Taking notes during meetings
- Help compile and update media contact lists
- Prepare media reports on assigned subjects
- Identify and research opportunities to share stories with relevant journalists and media outlets.
- Assist with press release/media advisory writing, editing, distribution, and media outreach
- Assist with media interview scheduling and coordination
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating of photo/video shoots
Education and Experience:
- MSc degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field with at least 2-year experience. Background in regional development issues is an advantage.
- Very good working experience with social media platforms: Facebook, twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Flickr.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Amharic, Arabic, Swahili or any other language in East Africa is an advantage.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of appointment: This is a Communications Consultancy position, initial appointment is for six months which will be renewable and sought to assist the projects run by IWMI East Africa and Nile Basin Office with communications tasks.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: C/IWMI/28/21 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 18 October 2021.
To find more about IWMI, visit our Website at http://www.iwmi.cgiar.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.